[CLUE-Tech] Problem with ATI Rage 128 and X-Windows on a laptop

Match Grun match at dimensional.com
Sun Aug 19 13:23:18 MDT 2001

I have an ATI RAGE 128 on my desktop box. This runs great on all resolutions that I have tested up to 1600x1200. I have attached my config file which might help you.

This works with 1600x1200, 1280x1024, 1024x768, 800x600, and 640x480 "standard" resolutions.

Could this be a problem with the 1400x1050 resolution that you have chosen?

Have you tried running this with an external monitor?

Also, notice that my XF86Config does not have the mode lines that were required by XFree 3.x. This is one of the newer features of XFree 4.x. You might want to try to comment these out.

I don't know whether the virtual terminals (F1 to F6) that you are using put the card into text mode or make use of the frame buffer. Maybe the problem exists with the frame buffer driver?

One thing I always do for a new system. Do not select graphics mode on startup until you have X configured and running. I always start linux in text mode and use startx to test the config.

--
Match Grun
"Don't wonder too much -- you may get lost"