[CLUE-Tech] How to view MS Word docs in Linux

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 20 11:46:51 MDT 2001

On Mon, 20 Aug 2001, Jed S. Baer wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestion, but HTML isn't a page layout language. I
> can't use it to control pagination, for example. Regrettably, you're
> giving recruiters (at least some of them) way to much credit. The goal
> is to market myself, not put roadblocks in the way of someone being able
> to examine my qualifications.

Have you tried Abiword or Koffice? I don't know how well they generate
Word-compatible docs, but I know it's one of their features or planned
features.

Unfortunately, there's no perfect solution to this problem. StarOffice
is the best bet when it comes to creating and reading Word-compatible docs.
DocBook is great for creating PDF and RTF docs, but it's not designed to give
control over layout. I've thought about taking the time to create a
DTD and stylesheets for a resume document format...but I've never taken
the time to do so. Given the current economy, it'd probably be very
popular...

Instead of spending time searching for the Holy Grail, I'd suggest
sucking it up and using StarOffice. It's not the best program in the
world, but it's sufficient.

Zonker
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier -=- jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
http://www.DissociatedPress.net/
Free Dmitry Skylarov! http://www.freeskylarov.org/
"Life is like arriving late for a movie, having to figure out what
was going on without bothering everybody with a lot of questions,
and then being unexpectedly called away before you find out how
it ends." -- Joseph Campbell