[CLUE-Tech] How to view MS Word docs in Linux

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 20 13:46:31 MDT 2001

On Mon, 20 Aug 2001, Jed S. Baer wrote:

> Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 20 Aug 2001, Jed S. Baer wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks for the suggestion, but HTML isn't a page layout language. I
> > > can't use it to control pagination, for example. Regrettably, you're
> >
> > Have you tried Abiword or Koffice? I don't know how well they generate
> > Word-compatible docs, but I know it's one of their features or planned
> > features.
>
> I'm hoping to keep things as simple as possible.

Aren't we all...? ;)

> > Unfortunately, there's no perfect solution to this problem. StarOffice
> > is the best bet when it comes to creating and reading Word-compatible docs.
> > DocBook is great for creating PDF and RTF docs, but it's not designed to give
> > control over layout. I've thought about taking the time to create a
> > DTD and stylesheets for a resume document format...but I've never taken
> > the time to do so. Given the current economy, it'd probably be very
> > popular...
>
> That thought has crossed my mind as well. Having resume data stored in
> XML, then transforms to [whatever]. I suppose the difficulty there is
> agreement on what goes into a resume. Initially, it seems pretty simple,
> but then I think about the huge variety of content/layout I've seen over
> time.

That's the same problem that the DocBook folks have. Feature, or in
this case Element, creep. I'm beginning to feel that all programs, standards
and operating systems are victim to creeping cruft no matter how
well-planned. I think it'd be possible to have a set of, say, 50 to 75
elements that would produce a fairly plain resume. I might give it
a whack just to see if it's doable, especially since I'm starting to
get restless and wanting to see if I can't find a full-time job again...

> The objection which comes to mind is if a resume DTD really caught on,
> it would play right into automatic screening by keyword. As others have
> pointed out, such is already too prevalent in the HR world already.

Then it would be time for...obfuscated resume contests! :) I guess
that is a danger, hadn't really thought of it.

> > Instead of spending time searching for the Holy Grail, I'd suggest
> > sucking it up and using StarOffice. It's not the best program in the
> > world, but it's sufficient.
>
> A GR'R'R'R'RaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiLLLLLLLLLLLLL! <CRACK!> <BOOM!>
>
> You're almost certainly right. The last thing I need is to finally reach
> the castle Aaaar'r'r'rggghh only to be insulted by a Frenchman. :-)

Heh.

Totally off-topic, but this might interest a few folks -- "Holy Grail"
is making another run in theaters and will be playing at one of the
Landmark theaters in Denver sometime in September. I'll post a note
when it's in town, maybe we could have CLUE night at the movies...

> The quest is nearing the end, and I am almost ready to give up, and, as
> you say, suck it up and get one of the office suites.

Sorry, I know it's not ideal. Good luck, though.

Take care,

Zonker
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier -=- jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
http://www.DissociatedPress.net/
Free Dmitry Skylarov! http://www.freeskylarov.org/
"Life is like arriving late for a movie, having to figure out what
was going on without bothering everybody with a lot of questions,
and then being unexpectedly called away before you find out how
it ends." -- Joseph Campbell