[CLUE-Tech] memory

Dave Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Wed Dec 5 00:02:07 MST 2001

Mike Staver wrote:

> Is there a way to clear out or simply control how much memory is
> cached?  I just ordered a gig of ram for this box that only have 384
> megs before, and I was usually using around 57 megs of swap.  So, I
> ordered this ram... but now the box is currently using about 1.1 gig,
> with almost 800 megs being cached.  Is this normal, or should be trying
> to figure out how to keep the cache lower?

This is normal and you shouldn't need to worry about it (unless you have a
2.4.x kernel where 0<x<10).  As long as there is free ram, Linux prefers to
cache most everything it uses so it looks like it is memory constrained
when it isn't really.  If you actually run out and start swapping, I expect
you'll notice pretty quickly.