[CLUE-Tech] [OT] DSL - multiple IPs.

Frank Whiteley techzone at greeleynet.com
Fri Dec 7 00:35:24 MST 2001

See Todd Gibson's reference.  It covers what I was suggesting.  We always
thought of the gateway as a usable address, giving 6 from a block of eight,
hence my question.   I seem to recall the USWest guidance being a little
weak, and it ignored the use of vip altogether.  I think you'll see that
your wan gateway and your subnet will be routed through a static IP
assignment attached to your account that routes to your subnet.  You can set
eth0 to nat and vip0 for your subnet.  You'll need to determine your static
IP that routes to your subnet so you can set it to the vip0 ip NAT outside
ip.  If you don't set the outside IP, you can route either the private NATed
ips or the public IPs but not both. Qwest Pro service tier1 and tier2
support did not know the answer to this when I set it up.  It worked on the
675 with setting the NAT outside ip, but not on the 678.  The C678 won't
show you your static IP though.  You'll have to dig it out.

With NAT enabled you can make use of those NAT entry addresses.  This is
necessary for printing FEDEX labels (other than ground) with their new
software/printer.  NAT entries have to be created from the wan0 ip to the
address of the box running the software with ports 7443, 443, 80, and 21
open with TCP.  The problem with dynamic IPs is that if the connection
cycles for any reason, the next IP will likely be wrong and this will have
to be reconfigured.  A single static IP is needed for this situation.

Frank Whiteley