[CLUE-Tech] [OT] DSL - multiple IPs.

Dave Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Fri Dec 7 10:00:04 MST 2001

"Todd A. Gibson" wrote:

> I've only been skimming the DSL-related thread(s) over the past few days
> so apologies if this is redundant:
>
> http://www.qwest.com/dsl/customerservice/downloads/docs/nat.pdf

Thanks Todd!  That is almost exactly what I was looking for.  I say almost
because I'm still not clear what IP to use for vip0.  Look at the first
example (which is pretty much what I want to do).  Suppose that I've got the
IP block 209.98.84.64/29, as in the diagram.  That means I have these IPs in
the 209.98.84 space:

64 - network address
65 - assume this gets assigned to wan0 by ipcp, and will be natted to the
10.0.0.0/24 subnet
66
67
68
69
70
71 - broadcast address

Ok, what do I use for vip0?  In the example, they use .70.  Then, when
showing how to add vip1, they use 209.98.98.0 which is a network address.
The bottom line is, does a vip use up one of your 5 usable IPs (65-70
above), or not?  If wan0 is using 65, could vip0 also use 65?  Perhaps wan0
will be using 70 and that's why they used it in the example (they seem to
say elsewhere that 70 is what would get assigned).

Thanks again for the help - the fog is slowly lifting.