[CLUE-Tech] LaTeX

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Sun Dec 9 18:49:20 MST 2001

Todd A. Gibson wrote:

> If you really want to learn it, get "A Guide to LaTeX, 3rd Edition" by
> Helmut Kopka & Patrick W. Daly.  Good for learning and a great
> reference.

+1, good book!

> Yum, I like LaTeX.  I do wonder about DocBook.  I originally picked up
> LaTeX because DocBook wasn't baked enough at the time.  I imagine it is
> maturing quite nicely now.  Anybody putting DocBook through its paces
> these days?

I just wrote a mini-HOWTO in DocBook and, using the examples at

the LinuxDoc Project:

   http://www.linuxdoc.org/guides.html

  http://www.linuxdoc.org/LDP/LDP-Author-Guide/index.html

it was surprisingly easy and looked good in HTML, PDF, and other

formats.

However, I *don't* see DocBook as a replacement for LaTeX.  DocBook
does a good (great?) job of producing documentation in a wide variety
of output formats but (AFAIK) the different kinds of formatting that
you can produce in DocBook is only a small subset of what LaTeX is
capable of producing.  For instance, I don't think formulas such as:

  \begin{equation}

   \label{eq:Y_dist}
   \mathsf{Y} = \left\{ Y_1, Y_2, \cdots, Y_{m} \right\},
   \ \ \ Y_i \sim \mathrm{Poisson}\left(\tau_y\lambda_i
   \prod_{j=1}^{n} e^{-\mu_{ij} l_j}\right)
   \end{equation}

can be done in DocBook.  And if I'm wrong, someone *PLEASE* show me

how to do this in DocBook because that would be most helpful!  ;-)

>>2> is there a command switch for latex and dvips to make them run
>>'quietly'?

latex file > /dev/null

hth,
Ed

ps - You can get a LaTeX2e resume classfile at:

        http://wetlab2.mines.edu/~edhill/tex_examples/resume/

      and it produces output such as:

        http://eh3.com/eh3_res.pdf

--