[CLUE-Tech] kernel compilation

Dave Price davep at kinaole.org
Sun Dec 9 23:05:49 MST 2001

On Sun, Dec 09, 2001 at 08:46:08PM -0700, Dave Anselmi wrote:
> > > I used make xconfig, found the necessary modules, clicked 'M', made dep,
> > > clean, bzImage, and so on.  The result was a new file:
> > <snip>
> > >
> > > insmod: scsi_mod: no module by that name found
> > > insmod: sg: no module by that name found
> > > insmod: sr_mod: no module by that name found
> > > insmod: loop: no module by that name found
> > > insmod: iso9660: no module by that name found
> > > insmod: ide-scsi: no module by that name found
> > >
> > did you make modules, and make modules_install?

Just a note ... if you are 'otherwise' happy with your kernel, and just
need to add some modules ... you can use config, xconfig, manuconfig to
just add the desired modules, then just 'make modules' and 'make
modules_install' ... (no new kernel image) ... much faster, and let's
you test modules easily - you don't even need to reboot.

aloha,
dave