[CLUE-Tech] Alpha bios info.

Dave Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Fri Dec 14 09:10:09 MST 2001

Sean LeBlanc wrote:

> Hmmm. Seems you've had more success than me in this regard...I've copied
> the as255_v8_1.exe to disk as fwupdate.exe, but update BIOS function in
> AlphaBIOS doesn't seem to recognize it - it just says insert disk with
> update utility on it. I have no idea what else I can try, other than maybe
> a different floppy as maybe there is some issue with it.

You might try double checking the floppy cable and power connector.  You should
also reformat the disk to make sure there aren't any bad sectors.  I used a win
system to format and copy the file, which worked as far as I got.

> BTW, the FreeBSD CD has two files at top level, one called hardware and one
> called install. Both are in plain text or html. Hardware goes pretty deep
> into all kinds of nuances of the hardware, why Linux can/does boot from
> AlphaBIOS, and that FreeBSD is an SRM-only deal, among other things.

Since you can boot linux with Milo from both SRM and Alphabios, you might be
able to hack together something with it that boots FreeBSD.