[CLUE-Tech] Printing Tips-n-Tricks

Todd A. Gibson tgibson at augustcouncil.com
Fri Dec 14 19:32:22 MST 2001

I'm looking to see who's got some cool printing tips up their sleeve.

Whenever I have a large document to print, I normally find a way to
convvert it into postscript and then use mpage.  Typically, along the lines of:
mpage -2 somedoc.ps

Looking at the output of the above, ideas of creating a booklet come to
mind.  This comes close to doing what I want to do:

mpage -O somedoc.ps  #prints 1st and 4th page of each set of 4 pages

[flip the paper over and refeed it]

mpage -E somedoc.ps #prints 2nd and 3rd page of each set of 4 pages

If I have a document that is 4 pages or less in size, this is perfect.
A single sheet is generated.  I just fold the sheet in half and I have
this nice pamphlet-thingy.  However, if the document is more than 4
pages, more than one sheet is printed.  I can create a booklet with
this, but it requires me to fold each sheet individually and then lay
the folded sheets on top of each other.  The preferrable way is to be
able to take the stack of the printed sheets and fold them over.

Q1: To that specific problem, do you have a tool/script/idea
that allows pages to be printed half size in an order that
allows the stack of printouts to be folded over to create a
booklet.

Q2: In general, are there any tools (other than mpage) that you use to
manipulate the sizes and/or order of pages sent to a printer.

Thanks,
-TAG