[CLUE-Tech] sendmail frustrations

cody at neosolv.net cody at neosolv.net
Sat Dec 15 01:15:44 MST 2001

If I remember correctly, in the newer versions of Sendmail, the sendmail
config is set to only listen to the loopback address by default.  Take a
look at /etc/mail/sendmail.mc, and you'll probably see something like
this:

dnl This changes sendmail to only listen on the loopback device 127.0.0.1
dnl and not on any other network devices. Comment this out if you want
dnl to accept email over the network.
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')

If this is the culprit, you'll see the DAEMON_OPTIONS line not commented
out as above.  To get it Sendmail to listen/bind on your public IP just
comment the line out with a dnl, or you can add/edit the line and put your
IP in place of 127.0.0.1.

Also, after your changes to this file you'll have to remake your
sendmail.cf file from the newly edited sendmail.mc file.  In many cases,
like so:

m4 /etc/mail/sendmail.mc > /etc/sendmail.cf

If you happen to not use the Sendmail Macro/m4 style, just take a look at
your sendmail.cf file directly and look for something like this:

# SMTP daemon options

O DaemonPortOptions=Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA

regards,

cody