[CLUE-Tech] combining mkisofs & cdrecord

jason at matchingmoms.com jason at matchingmoms.com
Sat Dec 15 21:30:37 MST 2001

The documentation I've seen describes burning a CD-RW as a 2-step process:
1. mkisofs to make an image
2. cdrecord to write the image to the CD-RW

That works fine.  Now, I'm trying to combine those two into one, but I get
an error:

mkisofs -r /path/to/directory | cdrecord -v speed=8 dev=0,0,0 -data
cdrecord: No tracks specified. Need at least one.
cdrecord: Usage: cdrecord [options] track1...trackn
        -version        print version information and exit
        -v              increment general verbose level by one
        -V              increment SCSI command transport verbose level by
one
        -debug          print additional debug messages
        -shorttrack     Subsequent tracks may be non Red Book < 4 seconds if
in DAO mode
        -noshorttrack   Subsequent tracks must be >= 4 seconds
        -swab           Audio data source is byte-swapped
(little-endian/Intel)
The type of the first track is used for the toc type.
Currently only form 1 tracks are supported.
mkisofs: No such file or directory. Invalid node - /path/to/directory

Is there a way around this -- I'm trying to reduce the time and wear on my
hard drive which comes with writing an image on it, copying it to the CD,
and then deleting it.