[CLUE-Tech] Log file states: linux kernel: VFS: Disk change detected on device ide1(22,0)

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Tue Dec 18 11:04:35 MST 2001

Kevin Cullis wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> This is what is taking up tons of log file space:
>
> Dec 18 10:08:48 linux kernel: VFS: Disk change detected on device
> ide1(22,0)
>
> I'm using SuSe 7.2 with GNOME 1.4
>
> Any clue to what I need to kill -9 or restart or what to look for?

Hi Kevin,

I got similar messages with some CDRW drives from Creative.  Basically,
the drives would, for some unknown reason (probably poor ATAPI interface
implimentation for the drive), produce junk on the other ide channel on
the same ide device that they were attached to.  The warnings were very
similar to the warnings that you see.

So my fix was to do the following.  I setup the drive ide cable and
jumpers so that:

   /dev/hdc -=> drive is the master on ide1 and also the only device
                connected to that ide controller

and added "hdd=none" as a boot option to the linux kernel so that it
would ignore all the bogus traffic from the physically non-existant
device.  The errors disappeared.

hth,

Ed

--