[CLUE-Tech] mounting an audio CD

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Tue Dec 18 21:38:10 MST 2001

On Tue, 18 Dec 2001 22:09:58 -0600 (CST)
"Michael J. Hammel" <mjhammel at graphics-muse.org> wrote:

> Thus spoke jason at matchingmoms.com
> > When I try to mount any of my audio CDs I get this message:
> > mount:  wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrom, or
> >
> > I can mount data CDs without difficulty.
> > How can I mount an audio CD?
>
> In order to mount a given device, that device needs to be formatted with
> one
> of the known filesystem types (see "man mount" for a list of them if
> you're running a fairly recent distribution).  Audio CDs have no
> filesystem
> on them - they are raw data (at least as far as I know).  So you can't

Well, sort of. I might have the nomenclature slightly off. Audio CDs are
written using "Red Book" format. This can be thought of as a sort of
primitive file system, as it does contain certain metadata about what's on
the CD. I think it would be feasible to produce an "audiofs" interface,
but perhaps it's so simplistic that it's unnecessary to do so. The tracks
themselves are raw data, AFAIK (i.e. there isn't any header info in the
track itself). But, info about # of tracks, run time, disk serial number,
etc., are stored somewhere. Otherwise programs like GCD and cdparanoia
would have to scan the entire CD before being able to jump to track, etc.

--
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men,
 undergo the fatigue of supporting it."