[CLUE-Tech] vi form of command history editor in bash?

Todd A. Gibson tgibson at augustcouncil.com
Tue Dec 18 21:56:34 MST 2001

> Question: can anyone offfer  a quick tips note, or point me to an
> online source for same that illustrates the (correct use of) major
> features of this configuration?

One tip to add to the others' and then a question.

Tip: when in command mode on the command line (i.e. you've hit escape)
if you type a 'v' your command will be sucked into full-blown vi.
This is useful if you need to do heavy-duty editing on your command.
Once you write/quit, the edited command is executed.

Question:  With RedHat, around about version 5.2 or 6.0, I found that
bash doesn't default with vi bindings.  I have to type 'set -o vi'
to get the bindings.  The rub is that I can't automate this by
putting 'set -o vi' in .bashrc or something similar.  Therefore
everytime I open a new terminal window, I have to manually
get the shell to recognize the vi bindings.
1) Does anyone else have this problem?
2) Is there a solution to this problem?

Thanks,
-TAG