[CLUE-Tech] a more sophisticated firewall?

Dave Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Sun Dec 23 11:10:01 MST 2001

Dave Price wrote:

> team,
>
> i have looked thru the docs, and a couple of features I would like for
> my firewall still elude me.
>
> 1> denying any connections from specific IP addresses / ranges.  Just
> drop the connection and log the attempt - mostly for my ninja-ridden
> qwest neighbors who keep trying to connect.
>
> 2> passing specific ports to 'private' addresses inside the firewall.  I
> have NAT working, but I would like to start passing SMTP and WWW ports
> to boxes behind the NAT.

Both are covered well (IMO) in Rusty's guides (there are 2, packet filter
for question 1 and NAT for question 2).

http://netfilter.samba.org/unreliable-guides/

I hope to help people with this at the next installfest.  That means I
should put together a machine with some probing and sniffing tools, which I
probably won't get to :-(