[CLUE-Tech] OT: SQL Server dump-to-text

David Willson DLWillson at TheGeek.NU
Tue Dec 25 10:12:24 MST 2001

I think there's an option to script the data, too.  I'll check tomorrow at
work.

-----Original Message-----
From: clue-tech-admin at clue.denver.co.us
[mailto:clue-tech-admin at clue.denver.co.us]On Behalf Of Dave Anselmi
Sent: Sunday, 23 December, 2001 11:53
To: clue-tech at clue.denver.co.us
Subject: Re: [CLUE-Tech] OT: SQL Server dump-to-text

"Chris K. Chew" wrote:

> Well yes, and no.
>
> To clarify, I found that SQL Server is able to dump the database to a
> records-only sql text file.  The file will contain no information about
the
> table structures, however.  I was hoping that ms would remain faithful to
> the SQL standard and give me a genuine sql dump of the database including
> CREATE TABLE statements.  I searched both the Internet and every related
> book in the local computer bookstore, but couldn't find anything telling
me
> that it can do it, much less how to do it.  I like to know how, if it is
> indeed possible.

Look in the SQL Server books on-line, in the howto section (enterprise
manager,
and databases):

<quote>
To generate a script

Expand a server group; then expand a server.
Expand Databases, right-click the database to script, point to All Tasks,
and
then click Generate SQL Scripts....
On the General tab, select the database objects to script. By default, all
objects in the database are scripted.
On the Formatting tab, select from the script formatting options:
</quote>

And so on...

Seems that this is just what you are looking for.  Of course the script may
be
transact-sql and may require massaging to work with another db.  And you
already
know how to dump the data itself.