[CLUE-Tech] Mandrake -- Hype or Cool?

Chris K. Chew chris at fenetics.com
Fri Dec 28 08:12:06 MST 2001

Mandrake seems to stray farther away from redhat with every release,
although the base system is still pretty much identical.  The main
difference as I see it is the installation.  Mandrake does a lot of
configuration and tweaks for you that redhat does not.  Examples include
setting up networking during install, setting up color syntax-highlighting
in vi, some nice bash aliases and configs, x windows with gnome, etc.  They
also have a pretty effective system updater (up2date doesn't quite cut it)
and some nice graphical configurations.

I don't run mandrake on any of my company's servers, but I am very close to
getting my mom to install it on her machine (one convert a year, that is my
goal -- double the linux population every year).  She needs a little more
courage.

I would day that mandrake 8 is the closest to a "windows killer" that linux
has seen so far, in that almost anybody could simply install it and have a
pretty effective desktop machine.  Naturally there is a debate as to whether
or not this is good for linux, but mandrake is definitely taking their
stance on the issue.

Chris