[CLUE-Tech] OT: SQL Server dump-to-text

Dave Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Fri Dec 28 11:46:29 MST 2001

David Willson wrote:

> Chris and Dave were right.  There is no option to script the data along with
> the DDL.

I didn't really say that, since I thought that part of the problem wasn't an
issue.  Back to the books on-line:

<quote>
DTS can also copy schema and data between relational databases. Using the DTS
object transfer capability, you can also copy indexes, stored procedures,
referential integrity constraints, and other database objects between computers
running Microsoft® SQL Server™ version 7.0.
</quote>

DTS is data transformation services.  There may be other ways to do this, too -
no idea what the best solution is.  Further down, there's this list of data
sources that DTS can import, export, and transform between:

<quote>
ASCII fixed-field length text files
ODBC data sources
SQL Server databases
Microsoft Excel spreadsheets
Microsoft Access databases
Microsoft FoxPro® databases
dBase or Paradox databases
User-specified OLE DB data sources
</quote>

So I think that one way or another, what you're trying to do is possible.  I
sympathize completely that figuring out how MS intends things to be done is not
always an easy task.  I assume they have classes or books or consultants who
know, but I don't know the magic to help you find out yourself.

In this case though, the books on-line is more useful than I expected (well, I
haven't used them to actually *do* anything, so they may just add to your
irritation).  What I have is 12MB, most all in one file, and I'd be happy to
share.  It comes on the SQL Server install media, so you can find it that way,
too.