[CLUE-Tech] Tail -f + grep

Craig Magtutu magtutu at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 1 00:14:25 MST 2001

> We also discussed tail -f /var/log/messages which tails in real time the
> message file.  The one thing which I came up with was tailing the
> message file, but also greping for specific lines, such as warnings or
> maybe even hacks into your system.  The idea was interesting, for those
> that can verify this, I'd/we'd like to hear what your thought and
> experience is.

  one unfortunate feature of tail is that when the file is deleted or replaced,
the real-time tail'ing appears to stop.

  this problem is evident while watching my system log for ip-chains packet
rejects. the following command continutes to work only until the cron daemon
rotates the logs at the end of the week...

   tail -f /var/log/messages | grep REJECT

=====
Don't hate the media, become the media
    - Jello Biafra, HOPE 2000