[CLUE-Tech] best way to copy hdd

ockers at ockers.net ockers at ockers.net
Thu Feb 8 22:24:53 MST 2001

> On Thu, 08 Feb 2001 21:11:00 Jeffery C. Cann wrote:
>
> > Greetings.
> >
> > I would like to copy one hard drive to another.  What is the best way to do
> > this?
>
> [snip]
> It's $$ but pretty slick and can clone a hard drive over a network.
> That's my 0.02
>
> Roger Frank

I should mention that the lengthy e-mail I sent earlier describing what I do
will work fine over a network, if you have NFS set up on the "old" system and
can boot your new system from floppies (that support NFS of course) or a boot
CD or something.

You would need to use NFS or some other unix filesystem sharing so that UNIX
file ownership & permissions are preserved in the network copy.  samba would
NOT work for this.

Jim