[CLUE-Tech] rpm incremental upgrade?

Michael Clark mclark at techangle.com
Tue Feb 13 17:34:10 MST 2001

version issues aside, rpm is not too bad:

As for moving to redhat7, you will have binary incompatibility with ALL other
linux distributions.  I know that rpm4 is relatively new and not backwards
compatible.  I don't know the exact reasons behind all of this, but when I want
to mess with some new app off of the web, I don't need library issues on top of
all other variables.  Redhat 6.2 is very stable, I would stick with that as a
base and update where necessary.

rpm switches that I commonly use:

to remove (erase) an rpm
rpm -e file.rpm

to install/upgrade an rpm (with hash marks ;-)
rpm -Uvh file.rpm

to install/upgrade an rpm without checking for dependencies (possibly
dangerous)
rpm --nodeps file.rpm
rpm -Uvh --nodeps file.rpm

to get around issues with rpm, use tgz ;-)

tgz is cross-distribution

mc