[CLUE-Tech] Networking question...

Dale Hawkins dhawkins at cdrgts.com
Wed Feb 14 11:52:32 MST 2001

I seem to be experiencing a network problem and I was looking for a little
insight.

I have a machine that AFAIK has been working beautifully for quite
sometime (uptime was at 68 days and that was because I had to physically
move the machine).  But this morning it started acting very strange WRT
the network.  I had to eventually reboot the thing.

The symptoms are that pinging loses the majority of packets and those that
do come back report a constantly growing latency (growing by approximately
4000 ms per ping update).

I can log into the machine remotely and things seem responsive enough (I
am typing this on that machine across the network).

Also, when I look at the network activity, I am seeing quite a bit of ARP
packets flying around.

Does anyone have experience with this sort of thing?  Is it a case of
hardware going on fritz (either the network card or a hub or similar)?

Any feedback would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Dale