[CLUE-Tech] More firewalling questions...

Jeremiah Stanley miah at miah.org
Thu Feb 15 15:19:21 MST 2001

I currently have a working firewall setup (I had to upgrade to a newer
kernel though, damn that RH distro!)

Everything that I need working works except for one thing. I cannot seem
to get queries out of BIND when the firewall is active. Here is what I
have for the DNS part of the firewall script:

    ipchains -A output -i $EXTERNAL_INTERFACE -p udp  \
             -s $IPADDR $UNPRIVPORTS \
             -d $ANYWHERE 53 -j ACCEPT

    ipchains -A input  -i $EXTERNAL_INTERFACE -p udp  \
             -s $ANYWHERE 53 \
             -d $IPADDR $UNPRIVPORTS -j ACCEPT

    ipchains -A output -i $EXTERNAL_INTERFACE -p tcp  \
             -s $IPADDR $UNPRIVPORTS \
             -d $ANYWHERE 53 -j ACCEPT

    ipchains -A input  -i $EXTERNAL_INTERFACE -p tcp ! -y \