[CLUE-Tech] ARP problems with Linux...

Jeremiah Stanley miah at miah.org
Thu Feb 22 09:42:39 MST 2001

> Now I know that my problem would be solved if I didn't have both of my
> interfaces on the same physical network, but the question remains:
> "Why is my Linux box sending ARP replies from both interfaces?"

I would check how you have your route configured first to see if it is set
to respond to the ARP request. Can you give us a dump of /sbin/ifconfig
and /sbin/route so that we can get a better idea of what your machine is
like?

> One other note:  This didn't seem to start happening until I loaded
> SSH 2 on the Linux firewall.  Was some code added during that install
> that has an ARP bug in it?

Probably not. From my understanding of the Linux TCP/IP stack is that it
handles the opening of ports and then just forwards whatever comes in on
those to the program that wanted it.

Jeremiah Stanley
--
In Seattle, Washington, it is illegal to carry a concealed weapon that
is over six feet in length.