[CLUE-Tech] Running User initial shell scripts under Slackware 7.1

John Kottal jlkottal at americanisp.net
Thu Jan 18 21:49:22 MST 2001

I am trying to figure out why I cannot get my shell initialization
scripts to run when I log onto Slackware 7.1.

My understanding is that after the system initializes itself, it sets up

the shell environment by running /etc/profile, which in turns runs
whatever initialization scripts are in /etc/profile.d, and then should
next run the local initialization scripts (.bashrc, for the Bash shell;
or .profile and .kshrc for the Kornshell) in the user's home directory
when the user logs in to set up the user shell environment. [NB: there
is now a KSH93 shell available for Slackware; it requires glibc 2.2].

This does not seem to be working either for shell. Furthermore, when I
try and run the local .bashrc or .profile/.kshrc as shell scripts from
within the user home directory, nothing happens. Permissions on the
script files are set correctly, and I can run other shell scripts
without problem.

I finally ending up placing a copy of the .bashrc script I wanted in the

/etc/profile.d as bashrc.sh; then the system sees it and runs it upon
login.

This, however, is not the way things should work. It should be reading
the local initialization files to set up the local environment.

Any ideas?

John Kottal