[CLUE-Tech] IBM Thinkpad Laptop comment

bruce beatnik49 at techangle.com
Fri Jan 19 23:04:52 MST 2001

> Bruce Nickerson wrote:
> >
> > I recently installed Caldera 2.3 on a ThinkPad 1400 (c.1998-99) running Win98.
> > I can tell you that Caldera 2.3 installed without a problem, including X.
> > Then I booted into the "other OS" (because the rest of the family uses it),
> > and that corrupted the Linux init. ... (Anyone know what caused it?)
>
> 'Need more information.  How is your Linux initialization corrupted?
> I don't suppose you made a boot floppy?  Do you still get a LILO prompt?
> If so, what happens when you select Linux?
>
> Lynn Danielson

Thanks for the reply, Lynn.  1. LILO was fine.  2. The kernel started to
load; I think it even checked filesystems.  It did not make it to the
login screen.  The actual symptom was a continually scrolling error
message and a dead keyboard.  3. I did not make my own boot diskette
because the commercial release contains a vendor boot diskette (although
I could still make my own).  4. What got my attention was that the
install was fine, a soft or hard reboot loaded everything fine,
Until...I booted Win98, restarted, chose linux, then got the symptom
above.  I was convinced that some Windows or ThinkPad utility did the
"killing," and I thought maybe a Clue person had seen something similar.
I would tell you the exact step where linux hangs, but said laptop is at
my folks', not with me.  :-(  I just thought someone had experienced
something similar with ThinkPads.  Neither the Calderasystems site nor
the IBM site go into that kind of detail.
Bruce Nickerson