[CLUE-Tech] CLUE-TECH: Linux and Amiga File system

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 8 00:24:10 MDT 2001

On Fri, 6 Jul 2001, Richard Knechtel wrote:
> Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier wrote:
> >
> > I've never tried mounting Amiga disks, so I can't help you with specific
> > instructions...how are you connecting them to your PC? They're not IDE
> > drives, are they? (Forgive me if that's an *ahem* clueless question, I've
> > not tinkered with Amigas very much. We had one that I used occasionally
> > when I worked at KTVO, but it was just used for "wipes" during the news
> > broadcast and video editing - I never got to take it apart...)
> >

> I take it the Amiga was using a Video Toaster.... Those are VERY Nice!

Yup, that was it... actually, being a minor computer buff at the time,
I was the only person on staff that realized that it was an "Amiga" and
not a "Toaster" -- which is what everyone called it.

The thing that struck me at the time (1997-1998) was that the Amiga was
obviously very old, but it handled its video tasks very well and I
don't recall it crashing more a couple of times - compared to our
MS-DOS and Windows AP Newswire apps that crashed all the time.
The teleprompter was run off a DOS system that crashed occasionally
in the middle of the broadcast...that was never fun for the anchors.

> > It's supposed to work for Amigas, maybe you could find some spare parts
> > on Ebay? There's a used computer shop on Colorado blvd. that I've seen
> > Amigas for sale at...
> >
> The Computer Room in Aurora handeled Amiga's I tried to get someone
> there to get back to e about repairing mine but no one would ever get
> back to me. I think tey are more interested in selling their PC's &
> their video editing services.

Huh, that's too bad. I did a quick search on Ebay that turned up quite a
few results -- but the majority of the people selling used Amigas or
parts seem to be located in the UK so shipping might get pricey...

Well, good luck, I hope that you find something soon.

Take care,

Zonker
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier -=- jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
http://www.DissociatedPress.net/