[CLUE-Tech] Logrotate Looping Problem

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Thu Jul 12 10:36:54 MDT 2001

Running RH7.1, just upgraded to logrotate-3.5.6-1 because of a looping
problem, but that didn't fix it.

logrotate appears to read the config file (same with any config file on
my system), and then goes to 99% CPU usage, and doesn't do any disk IO.

<cd to /etc/logrotate.d/>
[root at priapas logrotate.d]# logrotate -df syslog
reading config file syslog
reading config info for /var/log/messages
reading config info for /var/log/secure
reading config info for /var/log/maillog
reading config info for /var/log/spooler
reading config info for /var/log/boot.log
reading config info for /var/log/cron
<loops here>

/etc/logrotate.d/syslog is standard from the RH7.1 distro. Regrettably,
I don't look at my logs as often as I should (usually only when
something noticeable breaks), so I can't really tie this to anything
changed on the box. It appears to have been happening for quite a while.
Actually, all my logrotate files are standard from the distro, except I
added entries for my ppp logs to /etc/logrotate.conf, but running a
specific conf file rules that out, I think.

I couldn't find anything for this on the web. Has anyone here seen this?

TIA for any advice.
jed
--
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've
 made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."