[CLUE-Tech] lilo boot fail ---LIL

Grant Johnson grant at amadensor.com
Sat Jul 14 09:45:54 MDT 2001

Ray wrote:

>                           Name: LiloConf.doc
>    LiloConf.doc           Type: Microsoft Word Document (application/msword)
>                       Encoding: base64
>                Download Status: Not downloaded with message
First:  I couldn't read your attachment very well because it was a word
document.  I ran it through strings, and got your stuff (I think) as
well as stuff about Rachel's birthday party.  You never knew how much
that software transmitted about your private life.  That's why I avoid
proprietary binary formats, especially ones with unpublished
specifications.  Please put future stuff in the body of the message, and
if you must attach, use plain text so the rest of us can read it.

Now, on to your problem.
1)  Linear is rarely if ever needed.  If I remember right, it is
generally only for old SCSI stuff.
2)  If it stops at LIL, that means a disk geometry problem.  Basically,
your BIOS does not agree with what the drive is.  There are options.  If
the offending drive is notthe boot drive, but instead it is a data
drive, lie to BIOS and tell it that it is not there.  Linux will find it
and use it fine anyway.

If it is the boot partition:
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/LILO-5.html

If it is the boot drive, but the boot partition is accessible
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/LILO-6.htmlshoot-LILO.html

Other tips for telling LILO about the drives
http://www.yggdrasil.com/bible/lilo/user/node49.html

What do those letters mean when LILO starts up anyway?
http://lists.suse.com/archives/suse-linux-e/1999-Sep/0055.html