[CLUE-Tech] Open Source Streaming Video Solution(s)

ian iguy at ionsphere.org
Wed Jul 18 09:34:59 MDT 2001

I have not seen many true "open" solutions in respect to Video Streaming.

The problem of course is the client's ability to play these streams and as
such the way the companies get you is by having a propreitary format and not
worry too much about the solutions.

If your looking at just 10 or so streams at a given time I would say
look into the RealServer or Quicktime solution.  They both come with some
minimal tools to allow you to start streaming and cost is rather small.

For the RealServer with 10 connections is ~$500.  Quicktime you can get
pretty much for free.

The only Open & Free video streaming solution I have seen is the Vorbis
stuff but they haven't started seriously working on it yet.

Keep us informed on what you find.

ian