[CLUE-Tech] sed, grep, CSS, HTML and file modification

Kevin Cullis kevincu at orci.com
Sat Jul 21 13:09:27 MDT 2001

Hi everyone,

I've now made some decisions concerning my web site and now I find that
I need to change many HTML references in preparation for CSS stuff.  But
first, I want to try to change some HTML references (ex. font
color="004A73" to font color="005887") and make sure that it works
before I start changing stuff to CSS. (This is also a migration issue in
that I'm would be moving all HTML references to CSS).

Does it matter which way I go?  I.e. how much different in time and
effort would it be between establishing CSS in HTML and using "includes"
versus doing a grep/sed script and substitution on each color/HTML
reference? (This would also be used to change HTML files to CSS in the
second step/phase)

Any thoughts?

Kevin