[CLUE-Tech] UPS Recommendations?

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Wed Jul 25 20:48:07 MDT 2001

After two power outages in a week, one of which cost me a motherboard,
I've decided I need an UPS. Does anyone have any particular
recommendations? The UPS-HOWTO seems hopelessly out-of-date for web
links, anyway. And I suspect for capabilities of powerd as well. (Yeah,
I'll read the powerd man page too. ;-)

Seems if I want true sinusoidal output, it's gonna really cost me. I
don't suppose that's a necessity.

A few of places I've looked so far:

http://www.4ups.com/ (refurbed Deltec, unknown VA rating)
http://www.fentonups.com/Products/PowerPal/powerpal.html
http://www.jetta-tech.com/Products_main.htm
http://www.baber.com/baber/products/powersupplies.htm (Optiquest?)
http://www.tripplite.com/
http://www.bestpower.com/ (Useless website, AFAICT)

One thing I find curious is the extreme variance in the "recommended"
units given by 3 different web-based estimation programs -- in terms of
the VA rating. My (admittedly lots of headroom here) PC has a 300W power
supply. I haven't stuck my head behind my moniter yet to see what it
wants (it's a 19" Sony). I'd like to put my alarm clock on it as well.

According to the UPS-HOWTO, APC and TrippLite aren't Free-Software
friendly. Anyone know if this is still true?

TIA.
Regards,
jed
--
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a
 difference. Free Software developers don't have that problem."