[CLUE-Tech] UPS Recommendations?

bill ehlert ehlert_bill at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 25 23:35:15 MDT 2001

**  hello, jed - -

        i use the apc smartups 700.  i'm
    no electrical engineer (good GOD no)
    but the manual asserts

        on battery          low distortion
        waveshape           sine wave

    i don't remember what it cost me (have
    had it 3 or 4 yrs) but it can't have
    been all that much, or i wouldn't have
    paid it.

    couple of other things i like:

    a few weeks ago i noticed a red light
    on the front panel along with the various
    greens.

    checking out the manual i found that it
    was the "replace battery" light.

    reading further i found the 800 number
    for t.s.  calling it and making selections
    from the menus i found myself connected to
    a company called   insight   which asserts
    it is the official replacement-battery
    vendor for apc.  they were happy to sell
    me a set of replacement batteries for about
    $80.

    when they got here i was able to open up
    the box [had never done this before] and
    replace the batteries with little trouble.

    after a few hours with no computer while
    the new batteries charged, i am again
    humming along smoothly.

    did a google search on    smartups    .
    got about 6,100 hits  (some of which,
    however, appear to be in  Old Finnish ).

    some are articles.  some are willing to
    sell you a smartups right on the spot.
    some mention   suse   and   debian  , so
    presumably the  "smart" feature (tells
    the computer to shut itself down if there's
    a prolonged power outage and the batteries
    are in danger of running out of gas) is
    linux-aware.

                     h t h,

                             bill