[CLUE-Tech] UPS Recommendations?

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Sun Jul 29 08:51:42 MDT 2001

David Anselmi wrote:

> Well, I'm late chiming in, but since no one else mentioned it - for a small home
> system you might consider a line conditioner instead of a UPS.  It's essentially a
<snip>
> Of course you don't get a clean shutdown, but again, if it's just a home system...
>
> Good discussion of the differences and things to look out for at
> http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Unix-Hardware-Buyer-HOWTO/basics.html#POWER_PROTECTION

It isn't even the clean shutdown. I lost a motherboard in an outage 2
weeks ago. A few minutes waiting for fsck on 60GB I don't care about.
$130 for a mobo? The box is on a surge protector. I think it was a sag
that got it.

--
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a
 difference. Free Software developers don't have that problem."