[CLUE-Tech] IPTABLES and connection stalls?

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 14 10:12:44 MDT 2001

On Thu, 14 Jun 2001, ian wrote:

> Clue-Techies,
>
> I recently upgraded to RedHat 7.1 and in process upgraded from IPCHAINS to IPTABLES due to
> "changed working environment of IPCHAINS".
>
> First the question:
> Has anyone had any connection time out problems using IPTABLES with NAT?
>
> Background:

*snip*

> Any suggestions?

It'd be helpful if we could see what your configuration is. Can you run
"iptables -L" or "iptables -L nat" and send the output? You might also
want to include the rules that you're loading. If you've got a script
with all of those, it'd be helpful.

I'm guessing that there's a misconfiguration somewhere. You might also
try the iptables mailing list here: http://lists.samba.org/pipermail/netfilter/

Also, if I recall correctly, there was a problem that wasn't directly
related to Netfilter/iptables - if you have enabled "TCP Explicit
Congestion Notification support" in your kernel you may have problems
connecting to some sites. If you're finding that the problem is hard
to reproduce - ie, sometimes you can reach sites and sometimes you can't -
then this might be the issue. A lot of folks enabled this because it
sounded like a Good Thing(TM) and then found it munged things up. Not
because the kernel was broken, but because many routers couldn't handle
it. A quick way to check:

echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn

If that solves the problem, it's probably the ECN. Otherwise please
post your config and someone should be able to tell you what's wrong
there.

Take care,

Zonker
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier -=- jbrockmeier at earthlink.net