[CLUE-Tech] Fwd: Re: blitznet crack attack

Dan Harris coronadh at coronasolutions.com
Fri Jun 15 09:13:01 MDT 2001

WOW, that's some good info, Jim.  Thanks for sharing it.

What I find interesting is that this cracker went directly to the exploit
instead of portscanning the box first.  If he/she had portscanned it,
portsentry would have done its job and dropped the IP.  I guess this just
proves that the #1 most important security measure is to stay up to date
with OS patches!

For #1, my guess would be that it was in /root/.  The logs show su sessions
being opened, so that looks like the account that was used to do all the
chmod's and install of the rootkit.

#2, most of the time, there will be nothing to check, as 99% of all script
kiddies will do a portscan first, looking for vulnerable ports.  Portsentry
will block them before they ever get to a shell.

#3, I'm not up to speed with proxies, so hopefully someone else will add
some insight here...

-Dan Harris