[CLUE-Tech] MySQL question.

Faster-Laster jason at fasterlaster.com
Tue Jun 19 09:07:00 MDT 2001

I wasn't aware that the big db's (db, oracle, sql) came from the factory
ready to run complete with user interfaces for the desktop user. It
seems your dba friend was expecting such. MySQL and PostgreSQL, etc are
backends, they are not expected to have gui frontends. that being said.
There are several ways to enter data into these databases for the end
user.

Using a web interface with php/apache is a very viable option for this.
There are many already written apps for these types of things, look on
freshmeat. He is correct that the end user would have a hard time
logging into mysql backend and inputting data. Only bad things can
happen from this.

what his comment might have said was more along the lines of: You know,
it looks like the tools I would have to use to build applications for my
end users are not as far developed as I would like before moving any of
my production servers over to another db.

On Mon, Jun 18, 2001 at 02:04:24PM -0600, Kevin Cullis wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to get some people to try MySQL and other good software and
> below is just one comment. This friend is a BIG database guru and so he
> has some things he normally does that maybe MySQL may not be so readily
> available to him. Any suggestions?
>
> Kevin
>

> > Kevin,
> >
> > I've downloaded MySQL and taken a look at it.  I'm not sure what I was
> > remembering as the low-end database engine from Sybase, but this is not
> > it.  This is "free" software.  It's not intuitively obvious to me how
> > to build the tables in a GUI tool with MySQL...are you aware of how this
> > is done?  Also, what form-based tools are available for this?  I'm
> > thinking of both form-based input and probably form-based report builders.
> > The former I see as much more important at the moment than the latter.
> > If you've looked at my proposal, you will see that even for something
> > as straight-forward as the "People" information, there are several tables
> > involved in storage of the information.  These tables are joined together
> > to put together a picture of each person's information.  This is most
> > easily done if there is a form with a query behind it that is joining
> > all of the necessary tables.  If this is not done, there is too much
> > chance of a person making a mistake updating all of the join columns
> > between tables.
> >
> > If there is no tools like this at the moment for MySQL, I would suggest
> > going with something that has them, then migrating at a later date.

|Running Windows on an Athlon is like having a brand new Porsche but   |
|only be able to drive backwards with the handbrake on.                |