[CLUE-Tech] Disaster Recovery (was Linux laptop)

Jeffery Cann jccann at home.com
Tue Jun 26 05:16:27 MDT 2001

On Monday 25 June 2001 22:58, Brandon N wrote:

> For the actual OS stuff I think I have two solutions.  I can save a
> list of the packages installed on the system,

On slackware, this list of installed packages is in the /var/log/packages
directory.  Just make a backup of that directory.  Or if you simply want a
list of the packages installed:

$ cat /var/log/packages > ~/installed-packages.lst

> Disaster recovery is a very complicated issue and I would definatly be
> interested in hearing thoughts about mine or other peoples plans.

I do a single tape, nightly backup.  I am not using any tape software,
becuase I was too impatient to set it up.  So, I wrote a shell script
(backup.sh) that uses tar (Tape ARchiver).  This script reads a file called
'.backup' in the $HOME directory for each user I wish to backup.  The .backup
file may be different for each user.  It also backs-up /etc/ and /root.
Finally, the crontab entry below that runs the backup.sh command (for root)
at 2 am each night.  The output of the backup.sh script - there is a lot,
since I use the v flag for tar - is sent via mail to root.  This provides a
log of the job process.

This is not a particularly sophisticated system, but it works for my single
workstation.  When I need to add more files, I simply add them to the .backup
file for the particular user.  If I want to backup a new user, I add the user
to the backup.sh file.

My tape drive is a HP Colorado 2.5 GB Native / 5.0 GB  Compressed.   It has
worked quite well.  I have had to restore twice (in 2 years) since I started
doing nightly backups.

Later
Jeff

- --------------------- backup.sh -----------------
# Load tape module
 echo "Loading tape module..."
cd /lib/modules/2.2.13/block
insmod ide-tape

# Archive
echo "Archiving..."
tar cvfP /dev/ht0 /etc /root `cat /home/jccann/.backup`
`cat /home/cvs/.backup`

echo "Validating..."
tar dvf /dev/ht0

# Remove tape module