[CLUE-Tech] Yet another reason to use Linux exCLUEsively

Cyberclops Cyberclops at hawaii.rr.com
Tue Jun 26 15:43:14 MDT 2001

As far as I can see, Libranet is one of the best Linux distributions out there at the
present time.  Many of the users on the Libranet mail list have had experience with
Mandrake 8.0 and other recent Linux distributions such as Red Hat 7.1, and they seem to be
dumping their previous systems in exchange for Libranet.  What I mean by this is that there
are users with several computers, and they are taking Mandrake 8.0 off and putting Libranet
on after using them both for a period of time.  I personally like Libranet, and
discontinued using my SuSE 7.1 after installing Libranet.  Don't get me wrong, I think SuSE
7.1 is a good distribution, but there are just things I like better about Libranet.  For
one thing, Libranet has this administrative tool called "Adminmenu" that is almost Mac
like.  I really should say it's very Mac like.  It has a very clean straight forward
interface that has many useful features such as synchronizing your computer's time with an
Internet time standard.  Of course this can be done on other Linux systems, but Libranet
just makes it easier.  Everyone seems to agree that "apt-get" can't be beat for getting new
software.  In some respects Libranet takes a very simple minimalist approach to Linux.  For
example the boot-up screen is nothing fancy at all.  Just plain white text on a black
screen with no "yes / no" or "pass / fail" messages.  That being said, Libranet 1.9.1 seems
to have all the latest software such as the latest versions of KDE , Gnome, and even
Nautilus.  For myself, I have landed on "ICEwm" because it's clean, quick and simple.  I
really don't see myself leaving Libranet anytime soon, although I do plan on looking at the
next version of SuSE that comes out.