[CLUE-Tech] SMTPD help?

Tim Russell tim.russell at ilg.com
Thu Mar 8 14:20:57 MST 2001

Yup.  That's what I meant by "in the /etc in the jail".  Sorry.

And the files in question are owned by root, and are world-readable.  As I
said, the wild thing is that the resolver is doing the right thing (as in
reverse lookups) when talking to the internal host that's listed in the host
table, but it's failing on things that are in DNS.

E.G., "192.0.0.2  joemachine" is in /etc/hosts, and when that machine
connects, the reverse lookup on 192.0.0.2 does work, but when 63.117.253.200
connects and has a reverse lookup in of "engieg1.ilg.com", it doesn't get
picked up and I get a "no reverse mapping for host 63.117.253.200".

So the resolver library, running in the /var/spool/smtpd chroot jail, with
the files in /var/spool/smtpd/etc, works on hostfile entries but not DNS.

Tim