[CLUE-Tech] command line initiation of ppp erroring out

Ed Young ejy at techangle.com
Wed Mar 14 13:36:32 MST 2001

Jim,

I could put noauth in the options file but,
In the /etc/ppp/options file it says:
# Require the peer to authenticate itself before allowing network
# packets to be sent or received.
# Please do not disable this setting. It is expected to be standard in
# future releases of pppd. Use the call option (see manpage) to disable
# authentication for specific peers.
auth

In the pppd man page it says:
       call name
              Read  options  from  the  file /etc/ppp/peers/name.
              This file may contain privileged options,  such  as
              noauth, even if pppd is not being run by root.  The
              name string may not begin with / or include .. as a
              pathname component.  The format of the options file
              is described below.
       file name
              Read   options   from  file  name  (the  format  is
              described below).  The file must be readable by the
              user who has invoked pppd.

So rather than going counter to the fair warning of the author I think I
should
1. create a file /etc/ppp/peers/SomeFilewithAltOptions
2. set permissions accordingly.
3. add the line
  noauth
4. In the /etc/ppp/options file put the line
call SomeFilewithAltOptions

I'm missing something or how is this different than simply putting
"noauth" in the
options file? I read the bit about the format of the options files
(.pppdrc, options, options.ttyXX) but am not sure about the usage.

It seems that the idea is to restrict running pppd but I'm not seeing
how this is done.

Ed