[CLUE-Tech] enabling ftp

ian iguy at ionsphere.org
Sat Mar 17 08:49:36 MST 2001

I cant' say this enough.  TURN OFF FTP ASAP!!!!

Especially since your on a cable modem (Road Runner?).  It is amazingly
easy to snoop on the Cable modem network to capture cleartext login passwords.

That was how I originally got compromised.  I went down the same path that
you are with how to secure your box.  First I'll get ftp.. then I'll get
apache.. then I'll get ssh.. then I'll put a firewall up.  Wrong order..

What'll happen is .. "Honey.. I need you to go to the store and get lunch.
Ooppss.. didn't get ssh up this weekend.  Its on my todo list.  Honest."

Before you go any farther lock down your connection with a firewall.  The
learning curve is worth it.  Then get SSH on.  Make sure that everything is
turned off that you aren't using such as telnet, ftp, RPC, X, the list goes
on and on and on.  You can test yoru connection and what is open on it
by going to http://www.grc.com

If you have SSH running properly you don't really need an ftp server at all.

ian