[CLUE-Tech] databases and timestamps ... 'since' idiom

Dave Price davep at support-one.com
Sun Mar 18 09:05:41 MST 2001

The real issues are:

Getting text format dates (in various styles) into a format that can be
compared.
Getting now() into a compatible format
Allowing for the entry (preferably as a command line arg) of the beginning
date of the comparison range.

right now i am fumbling about with my own 'date numbers' ... since i care
not about the time portion, i am using 20010318 to represent Mar 18, 2001
... hey at least it is y-2k compliant.  It is getting a little old trying
to right subroutines in perl to parse out every new way that a date gets
printed in a text-file report though.

BTW: greater than does not even come close ... at the very least the
comparison needs to be 'between' i.e.:  then() <= n <= now()

(but thanks for the advise)