[CLUE-Tech] Of Security and Firewalls..

Jim Intriglia jimintriglia at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 18 20:32:16 MST 2001

Been following the discussion of security and ftp, telenet and firewalls in
general. Ian's post re: get the firewall up first then the other servers
behind it got me thinking..

I am planning to install Starband Internet service (cosumer 2-way,
always-on, small-dish satellite service) up here in Conifer, and will need
to get a firewall up-and-running ASAP!

I have an old P133 Dell Pentium as a test PC, and my inclination is to
install a 'hardened' Linux distro such as Bastille. I've checked the
Firway/Proxy How-To; it was last updated 2/2000 - dated a bit - still worth
a read-through?

Any suggestions on where to begin reading with respect to this
firewall/proxy approach (using Linux-based firewall distro such as Bastille
or others?). Also, am I better off beginning with IMAP featured in 2.4
kernal or should I start with learning IPCHAINS?

Thanks CLUEbies Security Guru's...

Jim Intriglia