[CLUE-Tech] Of Security and Firewalls..

Jim Intriglia jimintriglia at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 20 00:32:48 MST 2001

I checked out ClarkConnect web site - it is very impressive and would meet
my Firewall, and Internet sharing needs (plus it is based on Red Hat V6.2
which is what I'm running here).

The one challenge is that ClarkConnect requires a DSL/Cable Internet
connection, which here in Conifer is non-existant. In the ClarkConnect
discussion forum, there was a post that referenced Smoothwall
(smoothwall.org) for those of us needing similar functionality with dialup
access.

The ClarkConnect site did have some useful resources on firewalls and
configuration, which I am reading through now.

Re: IPCHAINS vs IPTABLES, this almost sounds like the CGI/Java Servlets
argument among web developers. (CGI was supposed to go away for a number of
reasons, with Java servlets being the preferred method for enterprise
development.) CGI is still very much evident in web development today. Thus,
it seems logical to start reading-up/learning IPCHAINS as well as IPTABLES.

Thanks Roger and Brian; off to a good start.

:-)

-Jim