[CLUE-Tech] sendmail problem, busy server?

Grant Johnson Grant.Johnson at MetroIS.com
Thu Mar 22 07:57:03 MST 2001

How hard is the CPU running?  If it is not running very hard (less than 50%
or so on top) you may be able to exchange some additional CPU overhead for
not having to have the daemon running all of the time.  I run sendmail from
inetd, and although spawning the processes takes some CPU overhead, any
changes I make to settings are immediate (I do not have to restart
sendmail) and any intentionally nasty messages that try to crash sendmail
with buffer overflows do not work, instead, they just crash that one message.

This would run your CPU harder, but it may be worth it, if it fixes your
problem.  On my machine, a celeron 366 with 128M of ram, I/O (network and
IDE) are the bottleneck rather than CPU.  I mailbombed myself to see what
happened (30,000 emails as fast as the network card would take them), and
although it took a bit for all of the spawned sendmails to finish, and it
used a LOT of memory to do so, the CPU never went past 20 or 30%.