[CLUE-Tech] Re: KISS for security

Tim Russell tim.russell at ilg.com
Mon Mar 26 08:55:17 MST 2001

    Well, I'll jump into the fray by also offering to do a talk...  I'm new
to the area as of last November, and I work as a consultant doing Internet
security work on a project basis for companies all over the country.  That
involves doing external and internal security scans as well as some down 'n
dirty hacking at times, including social engineering.  Definitely a blast.

    Right now I'm in the middle of telling Microsoft how to configure
Exchange 2000 in a frontend/backend configuration securely, since they
definitely don't know how to.  It's hilarious telling Microsoft engineers
who wrote Exchange how to install their own product properly!

    Prior to starting the consulting gig, I set up and ran one of the two
biggest ISPs in Omaha (I know, I know, but it was actually fairly big) with
no firewalls whatsoever for three years using BSDI and Linux systems.  This
was from 1995 to 1998.

    If nothing else, I could tell you some stories...  ;-)

Tim Russell
Solution Architect
Interlink Group Incorporated
tim.russell at ilg.com