[CLUE-Tech] Re: Component Object Model - Why? was: COM and Linux

Grant Johnson grant at amadensor.com
Thu May 3 23:55:05 MDT 2001

Jeffery Cann wrote:
more
> understanding.
>
> COM is about reusable software components.  It started as a technology called
> OLE - Object Linking and Embedding.  This idea allowed Microsoft programs to
> embed documents within other documents.  For example, I can take an Excel
> chart and put it in a Word document.   OLE evolved into a more generic object
> model (that includes network transparency) and is called COM - Component
> Object Model.  (BTW - Micro$oft did not invent the general idea of reusable
> software components).

Jeff did a much better job of the description than I did.  I just
believe that the pieces you would use with COM should have been seperate
in the first place rather than part of a huge application.  This would
get you all of the advantages of COM, but with smaller memory
requirements and greater reliability (because of modularity and
simplicity)