[CLUE-Tech] Client?

Match Grun match at dimensional.com
Mon May 7 12:16:13 MDT 2001

This derives from a client-server architecture. Typically, a server
accepts connections (and requests) from many clients.

For example, a mail server accepts connections from many email
clients (your email application). The client requests either
inbound mail or has outbound mail awaiting delivery. The mail
server processes the request(s) for the client; the client then
disconnects.

Similary, a database server accepts connections from many
applications. The applications are clients of the database server.
In this case, it can sometimes get confusing, because the client
could be another server, for example, an application server or web
server, which needs some data from the database.

Typically, a client or server is an application or program. These
applications can either run on a dedicated machines or run on the
same machine. It is not uncommon to have a client and server
application both running on the same machine - X-windows is an
example of this.

Match